Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Caprice De Luca Mystery #5

Release Day!!!
Silence of the Lamps 
Published April 26th 2016
 by Kensington  

Synopsis:


Business has never been better for home stager Caprice De Luca, but her personal life could stand a few renovations. Just when she thought things were getting serious with her boyfriend Grant, his pretty ex-wife swoops into town and nabs his attention. Uncle Dom is living with her parents and desperately needs a new job. And her sister Nikki's catering business is threatened when rival Drew Pierson starts eating away at her share of the market. Things could not possibly get more chaotic when Drew is found bludgeoned to death by one of his grandmother's antique Tiffany lamps--and Nikki is the number one suspect. Now, Caprice must act fast to illuminate the truth and clear her sister's name--before a cold-blooded killer puts her lights out next. 
Meet Caprice:
Caprice 
 Caprice De Luca—Home stager and amateur sleuth

I never thought I'd solve a murder!

I'm just an ordinary woman, thirty-two years old this year. I love my big family. My younger sister Bella sometimes drives me crazy. My older sister Nikki always tries to give me advice. My brother Vince hovers sometimes like older brothers do. Because I've always been curious and slightly rebellious, my parents usually take a hands-off approach. Usually. However, my Nana Celia tells me exactly what she thinks and even gives me decorating pointers. Except for Bella, they all accept my quirks—I love anything retro, especially the 60's and the Beatles, and wear vintage fashions when I can find something that suits me. Bella can't understand why I like wearing "old" clothes and especially doesn't understand why I take in stray animals and find them good homes!
Speaking of animals, a long-haired calico named Sophia (after my Nana's favorite actress Sophia Loren) pretty much owns me. She has me trained to give her cream whenever I have it in the fridge and has her own turquoise carpeted cat tree in our living room. In addition to Sophia, an adorable mop of a dog, Dylan—I'm a Bob Dylan fan, too—lives with us for now.
Did I mention my roots are Italian and I enjoy cooking like my mom and nana? My sisters do join me in this hobby and at least once a month when we all gather at my parents' house for Sunday dinner, everybody cooks something...except for Vince who brings the wine.
When the economy declined, my home decorating business took a hit. So I reinvented myself into a home stager. My specialty is now themed, high-end client stagings. (Though I still love decorating a single room for a client, too.)
I can't tell you about the murder I'm solving. I don't want to give too much information to you because it will spoil your attempts at investigating with me. Just know I'm glad you're reading along, meeting my friends and family in Kismet, Pennsylvania, and getting to know my furry friends.
 Meet the Author:


Karen Rose Smith

In 2016, my 95th novel will be published. I'm having so much fun writing my Caprice De Luca cozy mysteries that I become more emotionally invested in each book. This is why.
I created a heroine that has a lot of me in her. Caprice De Luca, home stager, has a background similar to mine. An only child, I dreamed of brothers and sisters and a big family like my mom and dad came from—seven children in my mother's family and ten in my father's. On weekends I was often surrounded by aunts, uncles and cousins. Caprice has that large family and the complicated relationships that accompany it. I'm a child of the 60's, a lover of the Beatles and now I appreciate antiques and retro fashion. (After all, haven't the 60's fashions just come back?) You'll see all of this mirrored in my amateur sleuth.
It is no secret that I fell in love in college. My husband and I will celebrate our 45th anniversary this summer. I believe in the power of commitment and the hope that goes along with the promise of everlasting love. You'll see that reflected in my mysteries as well as my romances. I'll be concentrating on planting clues and solving murders. But a touch of romance, I hope, adds sparkle to this mystery series.
Readers often ask me about my pastimes. I have herb, flower and vegetable gardens that help me relax. I enjoy raising heirloom tomatoes from seed. In the winter, I cook rather than garden. And year-round I spend most of my time with my husband, as well as our four rescued cats—Zoie Joy, Halo, Paddy and London. You can read about my cats, book news, gardens and giveaways in my newsletter IN TOUCH.

Connect with Karen:
Website
Blog  
Facebook 
Twitter 

My Thoughts:

Let me start by saying I loved this book!!
This is the 5th book in the Caprice De Luca mysteries and it was everything I had hoped it would be.  To be honest with you, I had read Karen's romance novels and loved them, but when I picked up the very first Caprice book I was hooked.  Caprice is a free spirit. She is a person who didn't dwell on the negatives of life, but took the negative, down turn in the economy, and made a positive, her home staging business.  Yet at the same time she always has time for others and that includes our fur friends.  I love that she rescues animals and finds them a forever home.  The other thing I really like about Caprice is her love and dedication to her family.  
In this book we find Caprice's business has taken off and she's really busy.  She puts a lot into each home she stages and the open houses for them.  She bases each house around a theme and works to incorporate every aspect around the theme, even down to the food.  She and her sister, Nicki, plan a menu of the food to be served.  Of course this also helps Nicki showcase her talents  and the possibility she can pick up some catering jobs. Unfortunately during the latest open house Nicki's former employee/rival, Drew, shows up unexpectedly to check out her latest dishes and to make trouble for her.  No one knows the extent of the trouble he could cause until he is found dead by none other than Nicki and Caprice.  Caprice knows that Nicki will automatically by a person of interest in the police investigation so she needs to solve this case before Nicki is arrested for murder.  
Caprice is still rescuing animals, don't you just love that.  Her uncle is pet sitting and notices a tortoise shell cat hanging around the property and it appears injured.  Knowing Caprice's history he gives her a call to help. They make the decision to safely trap the animal, but surprises are in store for when they finally are able to get it to the vet.  Miss Kitty is going to be a mother soon.  Will her neighbor still give this kitty and possible her babies a forever home? 
Grant and Caprice have gotten closer in the last couple of books and to me they are more than friends.  In fact I would put them in the couple category, but she hopes the relationship would turn into something more.  He is the one person she can always depend on.  Just as their relationship seems to be heading in the direction she wants there's a kink, his ex-wife shows up for a visit.  What does this mean for their relationship?  Will her history repeat itself? 
Poor Caprice.  Her life is going in so many directions I don't know how she keeps up with it all.   
Needless to say, I loved this book.  It's a spectacular read.  
The plot is steady and flows effortlessly, yet has a lot of twists and turns that keep you turning the pages.The characters are well developed and engaging.   For me this is a very addicting series.  I would recommend this book to anyone who loves cozy mysteries.  
**I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley for a honest opinion without bias or outside influence.  I was not required to write a positive review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.   


Available For Purchase:

AMAZONBARNES & NOBLEKOBO 

Coming December 2016

Shades of Wrath
Caprice De Luca Mysteries #6

Wendy Newcomb, director of the Kismet women's shelter Sunrise Tomorrow, is thrilled when the shelter receives a legacy. Leona Wyatt has left the organization not only her huge Tudor mansion but a monetary inheritance to accompany it. Wendy asks Caprice De Luca, home stager and decorator extraordinaire, to scope out the house and renovations. She hires Caprice to decorate the mansion to serve women who need more than an overnight port in a storm.
When Wendy is murdered in the mansion, Caprice is pulled into the investigation by the assistant director of Sunrise who wants a quick resolution to the investigation so new plans for the mansion aren't impeded. In her drive against domestic violence, Wendy has made enemies. Not only the husbands of women she has sheltered or relocated but also co-workers as well as Leona Wyatt's children. And what about Wendy's significant other who is instrumental in running the cooperative neighborhood where he, Wendy and his teenage boys live? Caprice's life is about to change as she accepts a marriage proposal, helps her uncle adopt kittens, sees her sister Bella attach to a stray cat, and learns whether Wendy was a blackmailer or the one being blackmailed. Caprice finds herself in danger once more as she asks questions and even calls on St. Anthony for inspiration to solve this murder mystery.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment