Friday, September 11, 2015

A Place Called Home #4

The inhabitants of Last Chance, New Mexico, could not be more pleased. Dr. Jessica McLeod has opened an office right on Main Street. Andy Ryan, the best athlete the little town ever produced, has ended his short career in the NFL and has come home to coach the mighty Pumas of Last Chance High. Unfortunately, Dr. Jess immediately gets off on the wrong foot when she admits that she's never seen a football game, isn't really interested in doing so, and, in fact, doesn't know a first down from a home run. Meanwhile, Coach Ryan is discovering that it's not easy to balance atop the pedestal the town has put him on. When this unlikely pair is drawn together over the future of a young player--whose gifts may lie in the laboratory rather than on the football field--they begin to wonder if they might have a future together as well.
Last Chance Hero: A Novel   -     By: Cathleen Armstrong
Expected publication: September 15th 2015
 by Revell 
4 Stars

What a sweet romance!!
The cover takes me back to my high school days.  The first day of school and the much anticipated first football game. Cool nights and bright lights with a packed stadium.  
Cathleen Armstrong brings us very complex characters with very real issues in this story, but I loved them.  Their flaws makes them more real to me.  I bet you know someone who they remind you of the same as me.  
Dr. Jessica MacLeod  has always wanted to be a small town doctor. She grew up in California and was a typical high school math geek.  She stayed completely focused on her dreams and accomplished them.  
She thinks the answer to her dreams might be fulfilled in Last Chance. 
Andy Ryan is returning to his hometown to coach the high school football team.  Andy was the high school football star and had went on to become the quarterback for the Denver Broncs. He has realistic views of the upcoming season, but the town expects him to bring back the glory days of being champions. 
I really enjoyed this story.  It broaches a couple of tough issues (alcoholism, domestic abuse, bullying and lonesomeness), but they are resolved realistically.  
I look for a message in each book I review and from this one I am reminded we are never alone.  God is always with us in every journey we take and he gives us strength and comfort to face each new challenge. 
 Cathleen Armstrong is a new author to me and I will definitely be reading more of her books.  
  I received this book from Revell for a honest review without bias or outside influence as stated above.  I want to thank them for this opportunity. 
 
Cathleen Armstrong 
 http://www.cathleenarmstrong.com/ 

Cathleen Armstrong is the author of Welcome to Last Chance, winner of the ACFW Genesis Award for Women’s Fiction in 2009 and the first volume in the series “A Place to Call Home.” She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband, Ed, and their corgi, but her roots remain deep in New Mexico where she grew up and where much of her family still lives.
 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cathleen-Armstrong/108890489269870
 https://twitter.com/cathleen_arm

2 comments:

  1. I've got this one in hand to read soonish too lol - so glad to see such a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie. I actually have the first book in this series in my TBR stack and had not gotten to it yet, but after reading this I couldn't wait to read it. It's a good story with several twists. Thank you for stopping by.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete