Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Somebody Like You


The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
(Psalm 31:18 NIV)


Book Description

Can a young widow find love again with her husband’s reflection?Haley’s three-year marriage to Sam, an army medic, ends tragically when he’s killed in Afghanistan. Her attempts to create a new life for herself are ambushed when she arrives home one evening—and finds her husband waiting for her. Did the military make an unimaginable mistake when they told her Sam was killed?

Too late to make things right with his estranged twin brother, Stephen discovers Sam never told Haley about him. As Haley and Stephen navigate their fragile relation­ship, they are inexorably drawn to each other. How can they honor the memory of a man whose death brought them together—and whose ghost could drive them apart?

Somebody Like You is a beautifully rendered, affecting novel, reminding us that while we can’t change the past, we have the choice to change the future and start anew.

My Review

5 Stars
When I first looked at this book the first thing I noticed is the beautiful cover.  The cover is very inviting and made me want to see exactly what this story was all about.  When I read the back it gave me a brief synopsis of the story, but when I opened the pages I found that it was much more than I expected.  I gave this book 5 stars because it met all my expectations and I loved it.
When I first met Haley I felt so sorry for her and I wanted to just tell her she really needed to seek professional help.  She is in a deep state of grief for the loss of her husband, but is also pregnant.  She tries to keep everything together and not ask for help, because she feels this would be a sign of weakness.  The author amazingly conveys Haley and the trials she is enduring.  I like how the author opens up about how Haley feels guilty for not telling her husband about her pregnancy. 
Stephen is a complex character, but easy to fall in love with.  I like how Stephen is introduced into the story.  He is not ashamed of his faith or does he pretend to be perfect.  He readily admits to past mistakes he's made and explains that all is he wants to do is help.  Haley resists his help as much as she can, but there comes a time when there's no one else but Stephen.  The author does an excellent job of weaving words together to express the emotions the characters are experiencing.  These two characters give you a glimpse into their heart and soul.
I love this book, but it needs to come with a huge box of tissues.  I would recommend it to anyone.  It is a well developed story with strong characters.  The story will take the reader on an emotional journey, but it is also a true to life journey for some. 


Meet The Author

Author Beth Vogt

Beth K. Vogt believes God’s best often waits behind the doors marked “Never.” A nonfiction writer and editor who said she’d never write fiction, Beth is now a novelist with Howard Books. She enjoys writing inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there’s more to happily-ever-after than the fairy tales tell us. Connect with Beth on her website or check out her blog on quotes, In Others’ Words.

http://www.bethvogt.com/


https://twitter.com/bethvogt









No comments:

Post a Comment