Thursday, February 1, 2018

The Lacemaker

It is the eve of a new age of freedom in the colonies. 
But can a proper English lady dare hope for her own independence?

Lady Elisabeth "Liberty" Lawson has nearly everything a lady of her position could want. Daughter of the British lieutenant governor of the Virginia Colony and a darling of fine society in a rugged land, she is anticipating an advantageous marriage. That her betrothed is a rake and love is lacking is of little consequence--or so she tells herself.

Though her own life seems in order, colonial Williamsburg is a powder keg on the verge of exploding, and her fiancé's cousin Noble Rynallt carries the flame of revolution in his heart. Those with connections to the British nobility are suspected as spies, and Liberty soon finds herself left with a terrible choice. Will she stay true to her English roots? Or side with Noble and the radical revolutionaries?

Published January 2nd 2018
 by Revell

Available for Purchase:



My Review:

I loved this book!!
The beautiful cover gives a glimpse at the magnificent story enclosed.  As I opened the first page I was immediately drawn into the story.  Elisabeth Lawson is a lady of position and all that entails in society by being the daughter of the British Lieutenant Governor for the Virginia Colony.  Her mother, who has been very vocal about her political thoughts, is currently in London, but due home at any time.  Elisabeth seems like a young woman who has never been given the opportunity to think for herself, but has always followed orders as expected.  This character tugged on my heart and reminded me of how far women have come and what those before us had to endure.  
The author weaves words together that bring the characters and setting to life for me.  The characters are engaging, endearing and complex.  When Elisabeth finds herself abandoned by her father, penniless and suddenly alone she must reach inside herself and find out if she has the strength to take care of herself.  I loved the journey that Elisabeth took to find her true self and love.  
This is a book I would highly recommend to anyone who loves a good clean story or a story centered around historical events.  
I received this book from the publisher as part of their book blogger program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.  

2 comments: