Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Nantucket Legacy

When I heard Suzanne Woods Fisher was working on a new series I kept checking on her webpage on her webpage (http://suzannewoodsfisher.com/) on her progress.  To say I was looking forward to the release would be an understatement.  She described growing up hearing her mother talk of visiting the island as a child and the adventures she experienced.  This developed her fascination and love for the island.  In late 1980's she visited the island for the very first time.  A stirring in her heart made her know that their were strong and courageous women who had walked the same places her feet touched and their story needed to be told.  I don't know about you, but that within itself grabbed me by the heart.  Yes, I too wanted to know and experience more.  




Let me introduce to you Phoebe's Light.  This is the first book in the series. 

Phoebe's Light (Nantucket Legacy #1)
Published February 6th 2018
by Flemming H. Revell Company

Phoebe Starbuck has always adjusted her sails and rudder to the whims of her father. Now, for the first time, she's doing what she wants to do: marrying Captain Phineas Foulger and sailing far away from Nantucket. As she leaves on her grand adventure, her father gives her two gifts, both of which Phoebe sees little need for. The first is an old sheepskin journal from Great Mary, her highly revered great-grandmother. The other is a "minder" on the whaling ship in the form of cooper Matthew Mitchell, a man whom she loathes.

Soon Phoebe discovers that life at sea is no easier than life on land. Lonely, seasick, and disillusioned, she turns the pages of Great Mary's journal and finds herself drawn into the life of this noble woman. To Phoebe's shock, her great-grandmother has left a secret behind that carries repercussions for everyone aboard the ship, especially her husband the captain and her shadow the cooper. This story within a story catapults Phoebe into seeing her life in an entirely new way--just in time.

Available for Purchase:


In celebration of the release of the first book in the series the author is hosting a trivia of Nantucket Island with lots of giveaways included.  Hop over to her blog and check out the fun. 




My Opinion:

I loved this book and look forward to the upcoming books in this series. 
When the book arrived I was immediately captivated by the cover.  I imagine this would be what Phoebe looked like standing on the shore of Nantucket watching for the Fortuna to arrive.  The author provides a list of characters and descriptions,  also a glossary with the language of 18th-Century Nantucket to help the reader.  I read through both before starting the story. 
This book is a story within a story.  Let me explain.  This book centers on Phoebe Starbuck and begins the day of her 18th birthday.  Her father, Barnabas, gives her a weathered book bound in sheepskin which turns out to be a journal her great grandmother had written about her family being one of the first proprietors to settle on the island.  It gives a rich backstory and adds a mystery to the book.  
As the opening pages introduces us to Phoebe she appears as any girl would be on the morning of her birthday.  She is full of anticipation, hopes and dreams of the future.  She shows a great devotion and love for her father, but she knows he also has his shortcomings.  Her interests of a romantic nature lean towards Phineas Fougler the whaling captain of Fotuna and also one of the most admired men on the island.  This very day Phineas takes a special interest in Phoebe to her greatest delight. Phoebe has always taken care of her father, which has been a chore in and of itself, but she feels that now is the time to focus on her future. As Phineas increases his interest to Phoebe, to the shock of many,  she suddenly finds herself preparing for a marriage and leaving the island behind to follow her husband on his ship.  Suddenly Phoebe is facing problems she never imagined, from sickness to betrayal, and we see the girl grow into a woman of much courage and faith.  
As I said, I loved this book.  With the sweep of the hand Suzanne Woods Fisher weaved words together that evoked both laughter and tears. The story captures the time, place, values and beliefs.  There are twists and turns when characters find things more complicated than they ever imagined which leads a hint of mystery.  From the complex characters, romantic tension, crisis of faith and the consistent plot I was drawn in from the first page and didn't close the book until the end.  This is a book I would recommend to anyone.  
**I received this book from the publisher as part of their book bloggers program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own. 


Coming July 2018
This is the second installment in the Nantucket Legacy series. 

Cover Art

Six long years ago, Captain Reynolds Macy sailed away from his bride, looking forward to the day when he would return to Nantucket Island with a ship's hold full of whale oil. But when that momentous day finally arrives, Ren soon discovers that everything has changed in his absence. Everything. "Is nothing on this island as it appears to be?" he whispers in despair.

Unlike most islanders, bold and spirited Daphne Coffin doesn't defer to Ren as an authoritative whalemaster, but sees through his aloofness to the aching heart beneath. She encourages him to return to his Quaker roots and "mind the Light," finding solace in God and community. As Ren becomes the man she believes him to be--honorable, wise, faithful--she finds herself falling in love with him.

But how can she, when her heart is spoken for? Tristram Macy is Ren's business partner, cousin, and best friend--and Daphne's fiancé. Love always comes at a cost, but when is the price too high?
Suzanne Woods Fisher welcomes readers back to the Quaker community on Nantucket Island for this riveting love story, full of unexpected moments.







3 comments:

  1. I really liked this story, Katrina. I've always been attracted to New England settings, especially Nantucket, and this was fascinating.

    By the way, I've been meaning to ask if you still want me to post reviews on your Facebook page because the last time I went to Between the Pages, there was no place to post. No problem either way, just wanted to check. And I love your profile pic of Pippa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I really enjoyed this book. I think the author did a fantastic joy bringing the characters and setting to life. Yes, if you want to post on my FB page please do. I will look to make sure everything is okay. I've been sort of hit and miss with taking care of my dad. Pippa is growing. She is getting more and more clinging to me.lol I love it though.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina--I am so appreciative of the time you spent on this review! Even including "Minding the Light" (what a wonderful promo!). So glad you enjoyed meeting Phoebe et al. Means a lot to me, Katrina. XO Suzanne

    ReplyDelete