Thursday, August 31, 2017

Exalting Jesus in 1&2 Samuel

Exalting Jesus in 1 & 2 Samuel is part of the Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary series. This series affirms that the Bible is a Christ-centered book, containing a unified story of redemptive history of which Jesus is the hero. It’s presented as sermons, divided into chapters that conclude with a “Reflect & Discuss” section, making this series ideal for small group study, personal devotion, and even sermon preparation. It’s not academic but rather presents an easy-reading, practical and friendly commentary. 

Exalting Jesus in 1  2 Samuel

Published November 1st 2016
 by Holman Reference

Available for Purchase:



My Thoughts:

This is a well written study of 1 & 2 Samuel.  It digs deep into a Christ-Centers concept which is that the Bible is a Christ-Centered book.  
I will describe the book a little.  
It's 381 pages long and measures 8.25 X 5.5 X .875 (inches).  I include this to let you know that it's a perfect size to hold in your hand to read.  I will say that this book was not what I expected, but was pleased none the less.  The major characters that are discussed is Hannah, Samuel, Saul and David.  I have to admit it opened my eyes to Hannah's plight and the fact that a nation was praying for a savior while Hannah, in her bareness, was praying for a child.  This was a concept that just hadn't occurred to me.  It next goes into Samuel as a point of leadership and choosing Saul even though he was rebellious against the God. It weaves it's way to David, the second King of Israel, the king God choose and one after his own heart.  This book has 24 different sections with a set of reflect and discuss section at the end of each.  I used this as a weekly study, a section a week with reflection at the end of the week. 
While this is a great book it is more designed for a person in a leadership role such as a pastor or the leader of a small study group which it was designed for. I would definitely recommend it for anyone in one of these roles.  For me it was a little too difficult to use as a individual study.  It is well written and brings out many important issues and gave me a different perception on these written characters and events.  

I received this book from B&H Publishing.  I was not required to post a positive review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment