Wednesday, June 8, 2016

In His Steps

A Modern-Day Challenge in the Tradition of Charles Sheldon's Classic
In His Steps

In His Place: A Modern-Day Challenge in the Tradition of Charles Sheldon's Classic In His Steps 
Published May 1st 2016
 by Shiloh Run Press  


Synopsis:

Charles Sheldon’s WWJD? was a significant challenge in its time, but God calls us to do more than wait until we are facing a decision and then choose to do what we think Jesus would do. We are to incarnate Christ in our time, being conscious of the presence and power of God within us in all of our thoughts and actions. This is what pastor Steve Long wants his congregation to understand. When Long challenges his prominent but self-satisfied congregation to become a living force for Christ in their small North Georgia town, he is blindsided by personal trials. Responding to Christ’s command “As the Father has sent me, so I send you,” Pastor Long tackles these difficult situations—and more—over a tumultuous week of trials and testing and ultimately learns (as he leads) what it means to walk In His Place.

Meet the Author:


Harry C. Griffith  
Harry C. Griffith is an attorney by education, graduating from the University of Mississippi Law School as editor-in-chief of the Mississippi Law Journal and winner of the Phi Delta Phi Award as Outstanding Law Graduate. After serving in the Army JAG Corps, he became a corporate attorney and then executive, rising to the position of vice president-administration before accepting God's call into full-time Christian work as a layperson.
He founded the Bible Reading Fellowship in the United States in 1971 and served as its president for twenty-seven years. He was also executive director of the Anglican Fellowship of Prayer for eleven years and executive officer during the formation years of the Anglican Mission in America. He was a cofounder of Faith Alive, a lay witnessing ministry, and Adventures in Ministry, a lay ministry organization.

He has had more than twenty books published on a wide range of subjects: prayer, Bible study, evangelism, lay ministry, and marriage. His publishers include Tyndale, Zondervan, Eerdmans, and A. R. Mowbray (England).
Harry has been called a Christian entrepreneur because of his varied and creative ministries over the years. He is a speaker, writer, teacher, poet, lawyer, business executive, husband, father, grandfather, and founder of several Christian and business organizations. He has also held a wide range of positions in civic, service, business, and political organizations.
 

Available for Purchase:

  

My Thoughts:

What a wonderful story!!
How many times do you pray for your pastor and the difficult job he has to do?
After reading this book I began to question myself and have I prayed enough for Bro. Chad and the difficulties he faces leading our small church.  I do pray for Bro. Chad and his family, but I find that maybe I only have a small understanding of the job that he does.  
This story centers around Steve Long who lives in a small town in Georgia and pastors a relatively large church.  When faced with the death of one of his church members he begins to question the role of a church member to his/her fellow members.  It is laid upon his heart to address this in a sermon, but unfortunately this in not well received from the congregation.  Suddenly his small town is shaken by a tragedy that touches almost every home and he faces a situation that forces him to make decisions that can test his very faith.  
This is a very thought provoking story.  I was pulled into the story from page one and with each page I turned I was more captivated.  This story, to me, is denominational free and focused more at the core of Christianity.  The author explores the very heart of the Christian.  For me, this book made me take a long look at not only my own heart, but also my beliefs.  I have always believed that actions speak louder that words.  Do you have to reveal your faith or does the life you live reveal your faith?  That's a big question and one that for some is hard to answer.   
I have to tell you this is a book I would recommend for anyone to read.  The message is one that anyone can relate to.  
**I received this book from Barbour Publishing for a honest review without bias or outside influence.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.      

No comments:

Post a Comment