Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Worthington Destiny #2

Cover Art 
Published March 1st 2016
 by Revell 



Synopsis:

Sean has always felt like an outsider in his own family.
Now he must risk never achieving what he wants most--his father's love.


Billionaire globe-trotter Sean Worthington is stunned when his older brother suddenly abandons the Senate race in New York and walks away without a backward glance. As campaign manager, Sean's left to handle the media feeding frenzy with no answers. Worse, their father--as usual--backs Will, the "perfect" son.

Frustrated by his father's lack of belief in him, Sean determines to finally move on and forge a unique path. But when a powerful secret is revealed, threatening everything Sean has counted on, he must wrestle with shocking truths . . . and combat the power brokers behind the scenes who have the Worthington family in their crosshairs.


My Thoughts:

A wonderful book about political intrigue and politics.  
I must admit that this is not a book I would normally pick up to read because if I want to hear about politics all I need to do is turn on the television and also because after this year I am pretty much tired of politics.  Unfortunately that being the case I would have missed a wonderful story, so I am very glad that Revell offered this for review.  

Wow, this story has elements of political intrigue with twists and turns, suspense, family crisis and a touch of romance all combined.  I was immediately drawn into the story by self-centered Sean Worthington and his family drama, specifically his relationship with his brother, Will.  Sean is always looking at things from his point of view and never giving thought to how others see things.  We quickly learn what a complex character he really is.  As the middle child he always felt on the outside of his family circle and harshly judged by his father.  
Sean is disappointed when Will drops out of the Senate race, but what really bothers him is the fact that Will hasn't or won't take him into his confidences of why.  Mad at his brother he leaves for Nepal to check on some issues that had sprung up with one of Worthington's Nonprofits.  Being away gave Sean focus on something that is very near and dear to his heart, give comfort and aid to people that needed it. 
This is a great book.  It is the second in The  Worthington Destiny series.  I have not read the first book, but plan to.  The authors give enough background that it was really not necessary to have read it to enjoy the story.  I felt this book is a stand alone.  Even though this is Sean's story the book itself includes all three siblings.  The secondary characters are well integrated and bring a better understanding of Sean's character.  Sean's turmoil is related to the reader as raw and real.  I saw much growth in this character from beginning to end and that really pleased me.  From the beginning I could tell he was on a path that would bring him not only clarity about himself, but also about God.  
This is a book I would recommend to anyone one who loves suspense, mystery or political intrigue.  
*I received this book from the publisher as part of their book bloggers program.  I was not required to write a positive review.  

Available for Purchase:

AMAZON | BARNES & NOBLE | CHRISTIANBOOK
BAKER RETAIL

Meet the Authors:


Dr. Kevin Leman Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally known psychologist, radio and television personality, and speaker who has taught and entertained audiences worldwide with his wit and commonsense psychology. He has made house calls for hundreds of radio and television programs, such as Fox & Friends, The View, Fox's The Morning Show, Today, Dr. Bill Bennett's America in the Morning, 700 Club, CBS's The Early Show, James Robison's Life Today, Janet Parshall, CNN's American Morning, and Focus on the Family, and has served as a contributing family psychologist to Good Morning America.

A bestselling and award-winning author, Dr. Leman has written more than 50 books about marriage and family issues, including The Birth Order Book, Sheet Music, Making Children Mind without Losing Yours, and Have a New Kid by Friday. He is coauthor, with his son Kevin Leman II, of a series of illustrated children's books for each child in the family. He is also featured on 6 video series on marriage, parenting, blended families, and single parenting.

Dr. Leman and his wife, Sande, live in Tucson, Arizona. They have five children and two grandchildren.

 



 

Jeff Nesbit 
Jeff Nesbit is a former communications director to the vice president at the White House, served as the director of public affairs for two prominent federal science agencies, and has been a national journalist with Knight Ridder Newspapers. He is the author of 20 novels. Cocreator of the Emmy award-winning Science of the Olympic Winter Games and the Science of NFL Football video series with NBC Sports, Jeff is executive director for Climate Nexus and writes "At the Edge," a weekly science column for U.S. News & World Report.

2 comments:

  1. Katrina, I had passed on this series, thinking I wouldn't enjoy it. It's been a long time since I've read a political novel, but I do like them. Loved your thoughts and will watch for this one to go on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I will be honest. If I had read the blurb I more than likely would have also passed on it. I have not liked political books, but I decided this year I would expand my reading and include things I wouldn't normally read. I was really surprised how quickly I was drawn into this story. I am glad I didn't pass on this book. It was really good. Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by.

      Delete